Thursday, January 28, 2010

The State of the Union: Young and Restless


Which brings us to the annual State of the Union Address. I didn't see it because I was otherwise engaged. Did anybody shout "You lie!"? I love the clever repartee of American political discourse.

But last night your new favorite band played a tight (taught) set at Coles' Comedy Open Mic, and, as I sure you have heard by now, elicited reactions of strong emotion from all present. I think most people liked it, but as you know, the piano at Coles' faces away from the audience. Those sounds could have been anything.

Since you already heard all of the usual stuff I'll go straight to the new material - the fantastically successful improvised fanfare for host Cameron Esposito. Cameron wasn't feeling her best last night, but bravely showed up to host the open mic as she always does. This inspired Foz and the Fellas to play (but not prepare) a musical introduction based on the Young and the Restless theme song You know the one. It goes plinky plinky plinky. I hadn't given any thought about what I would actually say, but knew it would be along the lines of "brave girl who went out in the cold with almost no voice just to tell you jokes at a bar." That kind of thing.

Well, as I struggled to make up the words - while playing the song not-too-well - Patrick and Dan pitched right in. Pretty soon the song took on a life of its own, growing fatter and more pompous by the measure. I have no idea what I finally said, but I guess it was inspiring because the room made quite a noise. Cameron kept lurching toward the stage, understandably confused about whether she should actually come up and play, while the song just kept going and going and getting pompouser and pompouser (that's right, I wrote pompouser twice! I'm just that out there). We finally got the lady on stage amid a heart-wrenching, tear-jerking climax. I wish I could remember what I said.

Then Cameron did this fascinating, sentimental (?), bit about going to therapy, and about how maybe she liked to have sex with women because it was like picking up herself because she already knew all the lines that would work. I don't know if I got it right, but it was a very funny bit that seemed achingly honest. I wanted to run up and start playing the soap opera music again (but didn't). My point is this: It was funny. Honest is funny.

In case you forgot, FtH will play their monthly headliner next Monday night at Coles'. The show starts at 9:00, so be at the bar by 8:00, so you can be drunk and surly by the time we start.

No comments:

Post a Comment